What is a sales order?
A sales order is a document created by a seller for a business which details all products and services that a customer has ordered. Sales orders will also include product condition, terms for payment, quantity intended to be purchased be a customer and how much each item cost plus the total amount owed.
The sales order normally includes the following information. Not all information is required. Requirements are based on a business’s needs.
- Company Name and contact information
- Customer Name and contact information
- Billing information for the customer
- Shipping information for the customer
- Product and / or Service information
- Before tax prices
- Tax total
- Shipping & delivery charges
- Subtotal price
- Total price
- Terms & Conditions
- Any relevant information such as notes, requirements by customer, or sales notes
- Signature of customer
Sales orders are generally different than an invoice.« Back to Glossary Index